So, it’s been a little while since we have posted. A few other things have kept us busy recently and we all (except Travis) had the hand, foot and mouth sickness which put us out of commission for a bit. Hopefully now, we will be back on track to be posting regularly and we have a bunch of projects in the pipeline.
After not really doing anything creative for a while, this past Sunday I wanted to finally complete a project. I have had an old window that I bought a few months ago and originally I wanted to clean it up and put some family photos in the glass panes and some old looking knobs along the bottom, but after a walk around a local vintage market event and a lot of inspiration, I decided to make a faux boxwood wreath and hang that on the window instead.
This is what I started with. The window, a grapevine wreath form, a faux boxwood garland, some green floral wire and wire cutters.
Firstly, I sanded all the window and made sure all of the big chips were gone and that is was somewhat smooth and cleaned all of the glass panes. Next, I brushed on a coat of polyurethane to seal the frame and let that dry. I used an old paint brush for this step, but a foam brush would be ideal, but I didn’t have any handy right then, so paint brush it was.
While the window was drying I set about making the wreath. My apologies, I forgot to get pictures of this, but I popped off all if the leaves from the garland and just threaded them individually through the grapevine wreath until it was filled out as much as I wanted. I used the floral wire to hold some of the pieces in place better and get the shape that I wanted. I found a old piece of burlap ribbon with vintage print on it and used that to hold the wreath up and attached it to the old latch on the window with some floral wire. After adding some hooks to the back of the window, we were ready to hang it. We found a nice spot for it next to our front door.
Here is the finished product, hung in it’s new home looking over my littlest munchkin!
And another close up.